Understand caregiving realities, issues, challenges
To provide effective support for dementia caregivers, it is necessary to understand various caregiving issues and challenges so that the advice and solutions offered are relevant and are conveyed sensitively. A basic introduction on home care was provided on the page: Introduction: Dementia Home Care in India. This page provides an advanced discussion of caregiving, including the context of care and the challenges.
This presentation looks at dementia home care in India in the entire context of India’s current and estimated prevalence, existing support, societal awareness levels, family obligations, etc. It considers the care scope in terms of what is involved and the iterative nature of the care work and learning, required because of the progression of dementia. A framework has been used to explain the situation and challenges. Unfortunately, we do not have enough resources and infrastructure to address most current challenges faced in India, but the presentation includes some suggestions that may help.
View the presentation below, or view the presentation directly at Slideshare if the player below does not load properly.
This presentation focuses on caregiver issues and challenges. It can be used for a quick overview of some important challenges caregivers face. (You can also view the presentation directly on slideshare if the player does not load below: click here to view the presentation on slideshare)
- Basic understanding of home care: Introduction: Dementia Home Care in India
- Detailed caregiver interviews from India: Voices: Interviews with dementia caregivers, volunteers, and experts. These may be long and complicated, but provide a good view of real life situations (has over 20 detailed interviews with caregivers in India)
- Other links to caregiver stories from over the web: Voices: From Indian blogs and sites(includes several links), and Voices: Caregiving in the news.
Pages in this section:
- Understand dementia and care in the Indian context
- Action Areas to Contribute to, and Possible Approaches
- Community-level work: A Dementia-Friendly India
- Focus: Improve Dementia Awareness
- Focus: Create Dementia Services and Products, Facilitate Support Forums
- Project ideas for students, artists, and others