Focus: Improve Dementia Awareness
Awareness about dementia is a basic building block for helping families get appropriate and timely diagnosis, and suitable treatment and care. Better awareness about dementia enables things like:
- Lay persons recognize when they may need help, and differentiate between correct information and misinformation/ myths/ stigma. They know how to support others coping with dementia.
- Concerned persons may study dementia, do research on it, take on professional work, social work, and participate in various dementia initiatives.
- Entrepreneurs and organizations may consider building appropriate, affordable services and products for dementia after realizing the challenges families face and that there is demand for services and products.
- Advocacy may increase. Public pressure for better support may build up. Corporate entities may be willing to fund initiatives. Governmental bodies may improve policy support and resources for dementia; they may integrate dementia better in health care work.
This section includes various ideas for improving dementia awareness in India.
- Conduct Dementia Awareness Programs (includes download)
- Train/ educate/ sensitize healthcare professionals on dementia and care realities
- Use Technology like the Internet and mobile for awareness/ support
- Additional ideas to improve dementia awareness
Full list of pages in this section:
- Understand dementia and care in the Indian context
- Action Areas to Contribute to, and Possible Approaches
- Community-level work: A Dementia-Friendly India
- Focus: Improve Dementia Awareness
- Focus: Create Dementia Services and Products, Facilitate Support Forums
- Project ideas for students, artists, and others